About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Friday, January 11, 2008

My Special Birds Pen

I guess I better get my entries in today...just found out Ian is taking all of tomorrow off and working Sunday instead of tomorrow. In case your wondering, that means no computer time tomorrow, and that also means I will be going down to get the new birds on Sunday instead. So there you have it.

***********************

I have a pen of young birds that will be let out to free roam in Spring. They grew up in this pen together and get along quite nicely. When I open the pen door the Golden Phoenix cockeral is always first to the door. He thinks he wants out, so one time I let him wander out. He is not ready, he is not full grown and easily intimidated by everyone, so back in he went.

P1070013

The next two to the door are the pair of Silver laced Polish I raised up. She is always very eager to come out, and I don't really know why. Some may think that a pen is confining, but actually they see it as their sanctuary, their safe place. So venturing out is a big step.

 

P1070017

Next the silkies will start to come forward..the boy first of course. See the two girls in the back? They are both broody and sitting on eggs! I wonder what will come out of them? We got quite a combo of guys and gals in this pen and just for fun I thought I would let them sit and see what came out of it all.

 

P1070014 P1070015 P1070016 P1070018

Speckles is in this pen too.

 

P1070019

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow I LOVE those silver laced ones!  BEAUTIFUL birds. You are so close to talking me into getting chickens! lol  Make sure you take pics of the new guys coming in ;)  

Anonymous said...

they look so happy
Becky

Anonymous said...

These pictures are gorgeous - I just love your chickens!!!  They are all so pretty.  Have a nice weekend with the family.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Yes that will be an interesting combo of chicken!

Anonymous said...

I've just recently came across your journal. I wasn't sure what to expect (Yes even with the title), but find myself delighted with your tales and pictures. Beautiful Birds....(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Kelly you guys enjoy your Saturday since Ian is off!!  The white chickens are called Silkies right?  They are beautiful!!  You raised all of these?  Wow!

Hollie

Anonymous said...

such pretty birds!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love the pictures Kelly!  Have a great weekend.

debbie

Anonymous said...

Kelly your chicks are just beautiful ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Oh, my gosh...  I LOVE your chickens!  They are so PRETTY!  

Thank you for stopping by my journal (photo entry) and leaving a comment... I like a snail's pace, too!

Michelle

Anonymous said...

They look happy.
Traci

Anonymous said...

A beautiful variety.  I wonder what is going to come out of those eggs! Can't wait to see the pics of THAT!

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Crocheted-Creations/
http://jouranls.aol.com/nelishianatl/the-tents-of-deborah/

Followers