About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

The Feed Store Loves Me

Sitting here, its raining away, so my mind is rambling away.

Another thing I never knew existed. Feed stores. Now when you think of feed stores you might think of chicken, horse, cow, pig food. They do have cat and dog food too, and at pretty good prices sometimes on certain things.

I have changed feed stores three times now. When we first moved here I went to Haneys over in Rockmart. Went there for a long time, friendly enough, helpful enough. They went up four dollars all at once on the Mini Pig food. OUCH. With gas prices going up, the chicken feed was crawling upwards too. So I ventured out and found a new feed store. It is about fifteen minutes from here in Rome. They are really especially nice folks. I could usually get most of what I needed there. On a few occasions I had to make a side trip to Tractor Supply for three way scratch (a blend of cracked corn, millet and wheat usually) because they would be out. Then they too went up on their scratch, and the feed.

So my search was on again. I think I have finally found the perfect place to go for all our livestock needs.

Tractor Supply Company is a wonderful place.

If you have never been to one, go. They dont just have animal feed, they have stuff for the men to ogle over..tools, garden, all kinds of stuff. They have toys for girls and boys, they have stuff for the ladies. Boots, hats, nice country wear clothing.

The manager of the one I go to in Rome, well we have something in common. We love our Dodge trucks. He has a big ole deisel and I have the viper truck. He is always so nice when I come in. I dont know if its the truck, or all the dadgum feed I buy. I have to make a grocery list just to go to the feed store sometimes! LOL

List for this week:

Mini Pig food, three way scratch, layer crumble, dry dog food (Diamond Lamb and Rice), Derbys vitamins, and Rabbit Chow.

A usual list consists of Pig food, Scratch, and Layer, and sometimes chick starter, for my three babies.

So there is another part of life that is country as opposed to my old city dwelling days.

I love the country, could never go back to city dwellin'. :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love TSC, but we have to drive over 30 miles to find one.  We have a "feldman's" farm supply 8 miles away, and two Orscheln's fifteen miles away.  We're most likely to use Orscheln's.  We have to get Sadie's Science Diet dog food at a farm store.  

Anonymous said...

I love the country also can't wait to move back to Pa.
Can't wait for my chicken lessons.

Sunny

Anonymous said...

We love Tractor Supply.  We go sometimes just to be going.  

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to find a Tractor Supply somewhere around me, it sounds like a whole lot of fun just to visit. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I bet they DO love you!  lol Sounds like you spend a bundle there!  I totally agree with you...once you go country you never go back!  I don't have the livestock but maybe some day I will talk hubby into a few chickens. lol  

Anonymous said...

Another good thing about Tractor Supply is NO adorable baby animals saying "Take Me Home!"  Last time I went to the feedstore for a bale of hay I gave my son the money and stayed in the truck. <BG>

I need to take my camera down to our feedstore down by the railroad tracks.  Has that wood floor that talks as you walk.  

Anonymous said...

Just so's you know!, I kind-a like that toy Oliver tractor on the top shelf, third one from the left. Just so's you know!

I'm glad for you’re enjoying all your shoplifting adventures. I'm an all oat breakfast diet every morning trying to bring my cholesterol down guy these days. Say high to all the outdoor gang for me and I'll know your as nuts as I am talking to your critters.

200# 25% protein tubs have gone up 20% in price over the last three years. We supplement the rye hay and corn stover giving  the cattle these tubs free choice. Tubs are made of molasses for the protein and mineral supplements added.

Fernan

Anonymous said...

I love Tractor Supply. I do a lot of Christmas shopping there for my daughter or granddaughter. Cute western clothes, horsey books etc. and I love the country music they play loud on the parking lot here. Not to speak of the bird houses and feeders oh you know what I mean. Ours is very near us too. Paula

Anonymous said...

I have a Tractor Supply about a mile from me.  I have never been but have been rubbernecking it long enough.  I'm going to go now.  Sounds like a place I'd enjoy.  I'm out in the country too.

Nelishia

Anonymous said...

Kelly love the sound of the "Tractor Store" to my knowledge we don't have anything like that over here ~ (unless someone knows better !!!)
I bet they love to see you with you long list of things to buy ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, we have a Tractor Supply here in godforsaken Hanvoer.  I LOVE THAT PLACE!!!! Reminds me of my days on the farm in Canada!

Anonymous said...

I love going to Tractor Supply too - I always end up with something I hadn't planned on buying.  I know this girl won't be living in the city or even close to a city in this lifetime!
xxx
Lisa

Followers