About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Its That Time

P1060028

Buzzbomb has filled out nicely...he would be a prime candidate for show.

 

P1060027

This little man would be awesome for show too, he has no name yet. (Any suggestions?)

 

P1060025 P1060030

This ones name I just had it pop into my head. This one is my Daddys favorite. He wants a nice picture of him for their wall of roosters. A couple of my men already hold a spot on their wall now. Hank and this one are next, when I can get some really great shots of them. So, with this one being Daddys favorite of the Serama, I will name him Jack. :) Seems perfect don't you think?

************************

I have had my eye on these three for a while now to show in this upcoming show in February. This is my time, this is the one thing I absolutely love to do, its 'my thing'.

The only problem is, when I called Beth this morning to enter my birds, she says that I may not be able to have them judged.

Judging Serama is different than regular birds, they are judged by their stance, their weight is a big factor, and their tail feathering. There are also other points, but these are some of the main things they look at.

Judges have to be certified to judge. Most are not certified to judge Serama because they are such a relatively unknown and unheard of breed. They are still rare. Leave it up to me to have the new up and coming breed that can't even be judged if they don't have a Serama judge.

Beth is going to find out if any of the judges they are using is qualified to judge Serama and I will call her back then to find out. I haven't entered any birds at all yet, because if I can't bring Serama ( I can bring them, but they wont be judged, so whats the point) then I will have to choose all new birds to bring.

*************************

She asked me if I was planning on bringing any other birds besides the Serama.  I said yes that I wanted to bring one of my Sultan roos.

She got very excited! She said "Ohhh you have Sultans???" I said yes, and I planned to breed them this Spring. She said she would love to see those, that no one has ever brought Sultans. I may, bring all four, if I can't bring the Serama. It is a lot of work to prepare white birds. With white birds you have to give them a bath, blow dry them, and manage to keep them clean til show day. They have feathered feet, so that is no small task. I did it last year with my three bantam cochin frizzles some of you may remember. With dark birds there is no need for a bath, just some mineral oil on their legs, feet, wattles and comb and they are ready to go.

These two here I am considering entering too, these are the two offspring from Kuckoo and Coco. They would be under cockeral and pullet though, not hen and rooster. They are under a year old. (Sorry, not a very good picture)

 

 

P1070017

In the meantime, Rod will be going no matter what...since Beth was very enthusiastic about me bringing Sultans.

 

P1070065

I have someone going with me this year, so I won't have to be all by myself. Ians dads wife Cristi wanted to go with me, and she shows her dogs, so even though she doesnt show chickens, she does show, and will appreciate all the hard work that everyone put into the show and all the people and birds there. I know she will have a great time. I love her, she is so nice.

***********************

There is one thing I discovered. My sister Patti said she would be coming for a visit in February. Well, I just read her journal from over the weekend, and wouldn't you know it, her younger daughter will be holding her competition the weekend of the show. Thats alright though...because she will be doing her dance competition while I am showing. I imagine both our activities will end around the same time, so after the show we can meet up, no worries. We will work out the details...but Patti, if your reading this, don't expect my house to be spotless! LOL! If I am gone all day Saturday we may come home to some dust and dirt, but I know you wont mind. Cause you are my sister, and you love me, dirt and all. :)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG right before I read that name I thought of Jack lol Only because we named our kitty Jack and it just seemed to fit your bird too! lol It was so funny as I read farther and you said Jack! It fits him perfect!  

Anonymous said...

what in the world is a spotless house???  LOL
Becky

Anonymous said...

Jack fits him perfectly!  I'm learning so much about breeds of chickens.  I don't know much about the birds with the feathers on their feet though.  Please keep posting pictures here.  They are so pretty to me.  I wish we could see them in person so keep doing videos too.  This is fascinating.

Nelishia

Anonymous said...

Boy he is a handsome fellow!  I love them all!

Anonymous said...

Your roosters are beautiful.  So are your other birds.  You are such a good bird mom (and a good other mom too)!  You and I have so much in common being sisters with the same birthday and all.  But...I'm a city girl and you are a country girl.  Makes it nice though so you can come visit the city some and I can come visit the country some.     Naming one after daddy seems perfect.  I know he is honored.  I am so hoping we can work things out this weekend without killing ourselves with exhaustion in the process.  If not, we will be up there soon after, I promise.  I love you and I will talk to you soon.....Patti

Anonymous said...

Kelly your birds are just so beautiful ~ (have you thought about becoming a judge yourself you seem to have all the qualifications) ~ I do hope there will be one there to judge your Serama's ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

PS Kelly your little man without a name reminded me of "Henry" :o) ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Every time I come here I rewarded with a smile. These birds are absolutely gorgeous to look at .  The unnamed rooster reminds me of Rhett from Gone with The wind....He's just standing so tall and proud. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

He looks like "the Colonel" to me, the moment I saw him that name jumped into my head.  Love catching up with you via your journal, look forward to reading it every night after a long day at Wally World.  Hope all continues to go well and know you will do well at the show. Dwain

Anonymous said...

I hope that they come up with some judges to judge your Seramas.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

How about Randy?  He looks like a Randy to me!  LOL!  All of them are fantastic!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I suggest Beau for the name but he is soooo pretty any name will fit. I bet your Dad's wall of rooster pictures is something to see. I never cease to be amazed at your beautiful chickens. Paula

Anonymous said...

Such lovely pictures. Such handsome roosters. Never thought about a rooster strutting his stuff fanning out his tail feathers liken in the last picture. How'd you get him to hold that pose while you took his picture? You...uh....uh.....go......good at that hen talk?
LOL
Fernan

Anonymous said...

Each and every one of these guys & gals are gorgeous, wow, Buzzbomb is really awesome looking.  I would have never imagined so much goes in to preparing them for showing - I mean it makes sense to me now but who would think you blow dry them??  I think it would be exciting to show them and enter them in competitions.  I hope Beth finds qualified judges for the Seramas.
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

How about nameing the little one Leroy he looks like a Leroy

Sunny

Anonymous said...

Doesyour sister have a journal in jland if so sent her link, I would like to read it.

Sunny

Anonymous said...

your birds are so beautiful!  I love the sultans....I am seriously considering getting some birds when I move back to the country!

Anonymous said...

I was gonna say you got the prettiest birds in Jland. Love all the pictures.
Take care, Chrissie

Followers