About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Enclosures For House Chickens

P1060003 P1060004

I had one more request for the What Do You Want To See...so I am fulfilling that in this entry.

I was asked to show where I keep my house chickens. Up until it got cold, Phoenix had a daypen out on the screened in porch. I put that away since I was given this large parrot cage. I had to make a modification to the bottom. I put some close knit wire down on the bottom of the cage because the spaces between bars on the bottom were too big and Phoenix would have stepped right through them. I put a small platform in there instead of a regular perch. He likes it a lot. I have to get two new wheels on the bottom, then he can be rolled onto the porch on warmer days to enjoy the outdoors.

**********************

I built this enclosure below for Bonnie and Clyde. It is also on the screen porch. On warm days this enclosure is fine the way it is. On really cold days they stay inside in a pet carrier. If its not too cold I will turn on a heat lamp and they have most of the enclosure covered with a thick fleece material to keep out the cold and wind. They always sleep in the carrier at night though. I hope to get another cage like Phoenix has for them.

I mean why not? If people can keep big parrots in these cages in the house, why not little roosters and hens? :)

 

P9210010 P9210009

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can see your point there?  Why not chickens?

Anonymous said...

They look cozy!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Those are neat, so now I am wondering...do other people keep chickens in their house  or just you?  A pet is a pet and if someone can keep a pig in their house why not other farm animals...right?

Anonymous said...

YOU built that cage!?  If so you did an awesome job.  I with I could build something like that AND have it work! lol  I loved the pictures...your cages are so nice and clean and they look really homey for the birds. If I were a bird I would want to be YOUR bird! lol  

Anonymous said...

I think the cage is perfect for them, parrot or chicken..what does it matter.  I tell you this, your chickens are the most spoiled and well loved chickens on planet earth and I defy anyone to tell me different.   You are quite a good builder too!!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

great looking homes for them!!!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to check out the chickens!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard/

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
You have the best looking chicken houses.  You amaze me with your building skills!  I couldn't build anything that even came close to that.  

Hollie

Followers