About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Chicken Chicken chicken, and then chicken

Another short video of Speckles. He is just so excited about food! LOL :) He wants to share, thats why he is going nuts, trying to show me, but I think I will let him eat it. ;)

You can't see this in public school! You can hear Shelby a couple of times in the background talking to him too. We were doing school at the time.

***********************

Hmmmm welllll....I called Beth and....

there will be no Serama judge there. :(

I am so sad about this. Bantams seem to be the theme for most shows. There are big chickens brought to show, but a big part is taken up by so many breeds of bantams. It would have been so easy to transport the three boys as they are in a pen together, so they get along fine, which means I could have toted them in one carrier, no problem. They all look So GOOD right now too. I am disappointed in this news, but I will show something!

**********************

So now the question is, who to show, and how many should I take on to show. I was rambling on and on in my head last night after I got the news about there being no Serama judge.

The Sultans are no problem. They are already very friendly and tame. I just need to groom them properly. First they will be dusted, just for any bugs they may have. Then two days after that...I will bathe each one and blow dry them. Then there is the task of keeping the feet clean. I think I will use Phoenix's old porch pen and modify it with side barriers and put shavings in it. SO...a pair of the Sultans.

I really want to show Johnny. He looks SO good right now. So so good. He and I will have to work on his manners though. He has gotten quite an attitude. I will dust him for any bugs, but he will not have to be washed after a few days. It is not necessary to wash darker birds as they dont show dirt like white birds. All I need to do it maybe wipe him down with a damp towel.

Recent pic of Johnny...

 

 

P1070005

Now, the last two, Kuckoo and Coco. I got them last year at the same show. They were actually in the Junior show. I bought them from the young man after the show was over for twenty five dollars. At the time, they got good marks, and Kuckoo didnt even look that great.

NOW Kuckoo is just stunning. He has really filled out, but there again, lack of handling has caused him to be aggressive. Not as aggressive as Johnny, but still, enough to make you draw you hand back never knowing what he may do.

Here are some pictures of when I first got them. I want to take some NOW pictures so you can see the difference, but that may have to wait til I actually pull them out of their pen and put them in a more accessable holding pen so I can work with Kuckoo.

 

P3130017 P3130007 P3130018 P3130014

Wow, I am sitting here now looking at these year old pictures, and Coco, she still looks this good, but Kuckoo, WOW, he has really filled out since this picture. His saddle feathers are twice as long now, his tail feathers look much better and he has sickle feathers whereas here he had one, but it was broken. Oh yeah, I am showing them...just wait til you see them NOW. Compare and see...I will be pulling them out of their pen on Monday, so I will take some good pictures of them before I give them bathes and then some after their bath. Yeah....definitely showing them.

**********************

Well that gives me five good birds to show, four of which I have to bath and blow dry. Two of which I have to work with them on handling and manners. Well at least I have some to show. Pete would have come too...but well, you know his story. He has no tail feathers to speak of thanks to the neighbors dog, so that is out.

*****************

As the days go by I will get more and more chatty, more and more rambly and anxious. That is just me. Just warning you ahead of time. ;)

I will be sure to take video and pictures of the process I go through to get them ready. I took pictures of my three bantam cochins having a bath and all that last year. I still look back on them...sure do miss those three sweet girls.

The header for this entry is what Ian says I sound like about this time of year...everything is CHICKEN this and CHICKEN that...ramble on and on...thinking out loud, thinking, talking, obsessing...oh well. That is me.

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that is so cool about you.  This is your blog and you get to say what you want.  I love your blog and I love your chicken videos.  I was watching this one and Nic was watching tv...he came running to see the chicken! lol  He loves um!  

Anonymous said...

Well, this is your blog and a chicken blog mostly so why would anybody be surprised to read you talking about chickens? I'm enjoying watching the build up to the show.  It is a big disappointment about the lack of qualified judges.  Your chickens would have NO competition to speak of it the Serama judge was there.


Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving

Anonymous said...

So interesting, I can't wait to watch the process, seriously...I am very interested in all of it!  I will be rooting for you to win!!!!!  Can't watch the video right now, I'm not home.  Love Johnnies tail feathers & Kuckoo....well just awesome and I have hair like that in the morning!  Somehow it isn't as cute on me though ;)  Keep up the chicken talk, I love it.
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...


LOL

my dog is looking for the chicken in my house while the video played!  I love the sounds!

Sorry about the judges not being there for you, hope the ones your going to take win your first prize!!

Anonymous said...

I've been a bit out of things for the past little bit and am catching up now.  Where are you showing them?

Anonymous said...

Do you ever fry chicken in your house or would it be totally offensive to your chicken babies?   :)

Those fancy chickens must just know they are the prettiest ones on the farm!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly~
What a cute video!! Both Hershey and Yager were looking everywhere for that rooster and they finally discovered it was IN my laptop.....ROFL!
Coco and Johnny are so beautiful :). And I'm so sorry that there will not be a Serama judge. I know you were really looking forward to that. To me, I would think that having more of a variety would be just as important as Bantams. Right?
I wish I could come to your show. One day :)

And Kuckoo is amazing!
Huggers,
Gayla

Anonymous said...

Love the video.  He's so sweet.  So, I guess he's feeling better?  Sorry about the judge situation.  I know you'll do good any way.


Hollie

Anonymous said...

I would say good luck but I know you will win hands down. You've got the prettiest chickens anywhere. Paula

Anonymous said...

All your birds are always very beautiful but I really love coco and kuckoo.  They look unreal, as if these are a prop made for a movie.  I loved the video of Speckles.  Holy cow, how many bags of food do you have in your dining room??  lol  Chickens eat... alot.
Jamie

Anonymous said...

you are like I am with my James.  he is my family, just like my parents and daughters are.....and i talk about him constantly.
Tina

Followers