About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Is It Wednesday Already?

Good morning, wow I sure did take a break didn't I? ;) Been Saturday since I made an entry. Believe it or not I have a good excuse.

We had company this past weekend again. Brian brought his twins over to spend the weekend with Shelby. Sunday we had Jay and John show up (Ians company really, not mine). I had made a huge pot of chili and four plates of cornbread to last the weekend so I wouldn't be burdened with constantly cooking for everyone. It actually did last the whole weekend.

Sunday I decided since I didnt really have company myself I was going to go out and play outside all day. Cold winds and cold nights were coming so I had to finish getting the pens covered tightly. Seems like it wouldnt take that long but I tell you it was an all day process to finish. I rearranged a few birds into other pens too. Johnny is alone now being as both his girls have died over the Summer so I put him in a smaller pen. He didn't seem to happy about it all and bit me on the chin so I grasped him firmly around the neck and told him NO, BAD CHICKEN. He didnt seem to want to bite me after that little encouragement. I really was going to try and let him go in the yard but it just wasnt going to happen. The first thing he did was go after poor Tiny. Tiny gets along with everybody...a very easy going kind of rooster. He grabbed Tiny by the neck feathers and raised up and kicked him really hard. Tiny doesnt weigh but maybe 4 pounds and I bet Johnny weighs at least ten. So I caught Johnny and that is when he bit me.

I took the trio of Golden Phoenix out of the smaller pen that Johnny was now going to have and put the three in his old pen so they have a lot more room now.

So I got the pigeons covered, got the rabbits in the hutch, got the silkies in the pen that Alan was in and Alan is in another pen more suited for a single big roo like himself. Got the silkies covered, got both rabbit hutches covered. Got the Golden Phoenix covered yesterday along with the rest of the stretch of pens alongside the east side of the house.

The two rabbits you saw that Dwain gave Shelby for her birthday are not going to be able to be housed together unfortunately. Peter (the brown one) has decided he needs to chew all the hair off of Busters backside and start on his flesh. He has two big areas that have been gnawed on so Peter is in the hutch and Buster is in the pen that is in the screened in porch. Shelby and I cleaned up thewounds and put antibiotic ointment on the areas and he should heal up fine now. I was hoping they would get along and keep each other warm this winter but I guess that isnt going to happen since Peter wants to eat Buster.

It does appear that the animals are kind of out of sorts doesnt it...it happens. Things settle down and things get riled up. The pigs are restless too...they have been trying to break out of their penned area. I have learned that pigs are VERY VERY strong and you have to really outthink them as far as keeping them in. They are very strong and very smart. So far they are still in their fence...it has taken over a year to pig proof their area...but I think I have it where they cant get out anymore.

So, did I mention that EVERY time the twins come to visit they always manage to leave us some sort of cold to deal with. Oh yes, this time is no exception. First thing Monday morning Shelby woke up with a terrible sore throat. It has stayed with her til today and now of course its time for the itchy ears and stopped up nose and drainage. :( I don't think Brian knew they were sick. Shelby told me Ashley had been snuffling and coughing a lot..so there ya go. Oh it didnt escape me either...but mine was short lived for whatever reason. I had a scratchy throat and a fever but I seem fine today. Lots of chicken noodle soup and motrin, lots of rest. That has been what Shelby and I have been doing the past two days.

This morning I decided to make Shelby and myself some omelets for breakfast. She doesnt like a lot of stuff in hers...just some meat and cheese does it for her. I made her a very pretty omelet of ham and cheese. I asked her how it was and she said it was very good and tasted a lot better than the ones they make her at the breakfast bar at Ryans that we sometimes go to on Sunday mornings. I said well you know why it tastes better? Because our eggs are the BEST! :) BIG difference when it comes to taste and you can see it in the color too. So I got her all set up and made myself one. It looked so pretty I decided to take a picture of it. I like mine with tomatoes and green onions along with the ham and cheese.

I am going today to pick up some Ninth and Tenth grade curriculum books that someone posted they were giving away on Freecycle. She also sent me a list of what she had in case I didnt want or couldnt use some of the books. Well I want them all! Look at this list!

(I just copied and pasted)

 

1. Homeschooling for dummies book {pretty helpful}

2. Test your Childs I.Q {not sure if you can use this one or not but maybe you can pass it on}

3. The Theatre Experience

4. French/English Dictionary

5. The New Century Handbook {2nd edition}

6. A History of Us { theres 6 different books}

7. The Everything Homeschooling Book

8. French Vocabulary/French Grammar {theses are not books but are plastic coated Quik Studies}

9. Math Practice Tests handbook

10. The Enduring Vision a history of the American People {Vol.2}

11. Map Essentials { National Geographic}

12. Sociology, and Philosophy Quik Studies

13. Student Study Guide for Chemistry

14. Progress in Mathmatics

15. The Western Heritage {Map workbook}

16. Nation of Nations

17. Super Review { Basic Math & Pre-Algebra}

18. Perspectives in Cultural Anthropology

19. Applied Calculus

20. Conceptual Physics

21. Principals of Information Systems

I know we don't need these books yet, but we will and I have seen how expensive the upper grade level books are so I am just so excited to be getting these books...and for free too, that is the best thing!

We had plans this coming weekend to go down to visit our friends in Newnan but I don't know if we will be able to go or not, we will have to wait and see if Shelby is well enough. I sure don't want to be inconsiderate and pass this cold onto our friends. I imagine we will have to postpone the visit. That is really too bad because the whole reason we were going was because it was Adrians 40th birthday...we will see though.

I know this entry is getting kind of long and I wanted to talk about my phone call to Sherry Saturday night. I think I will save it for a seperate entry. This one has gone too long as it is.

Enjoy breakfast!!! MMMMMMmmmm! My omelet this morning....

 

PB060003

Add some colby and white sharp cheddar....

 

PB060004

Flip it over in half...

 

PB060005

and onto the plate...look at that cheese just coming out.

 

PB060006

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh crud...now I'm hungry again!!!!  I fought a mini cold over the weekend.  I rested a bunch on Monday.
Traci

Anonymous said...

oh oh oh that looks soooooo goooooood.  I haven't had a good omelet in forever!

Anonymous said...

Seems like Johnny was a bad boy. You have been really busy with winterizing those pens. Good thing you did as it got cold here last night, around 28ยบ. That's to bad about the rabbits. That omelet looks delicious. Makes me hungry and I just got up from eating lunch LOL. Have a good evening. Helen

Anonymous said...

Kelly havn't you been busy ~ I feel worn out just reading about what you got through ~ Glad you got all the pens sorted out and made the pig sty escape proof ~ what a shame Peter and Buster don't get on they could have kept each other lovely and warm when the cold weather arrives ~ sorry about the Twins leaving their cold behind when they left ~ your Omlets look delicious think I will come to yours for breakfast :o) ~ that is some long list of books you will be getting ~ and all free ~ that is great ~ hope you manage to make your trip to Newnan at the weekend ~ and hope Adrian has a Happy 40th Birthday" ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you got all the animals took care of for the winter.
That OMELET looks WONDERFUL!!!!!  I LOVE OMELETS!!!  I hope Shelby gets to feeling better soon.  We're going through our share of colds too.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Oh that omelet looks great!  Linda

Anonymous said...

And she can cook too! Your omelet looks sooo good. Yes I know how strong pigs       can be. John and I watched a wild hog break out of a metal trap once. Sounds as if all your animals are in a huff. Paula                                                            

Anonymous said...

Your omelet looks great, and I am not an egg eater!!!!  Our animals are rowdy right now, I think it is the change in the weather.  My goodness that would be alot of books to buy ~ I cannot imagine how much that would cost.  
Lisa

Followers