About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Hi, My Name Is Kelly and I am a Chickenaholic

Some people drink. Some people smoke. Lots of people have addictions. I am addicted to chickens. I fully admit it, and I don't care who knows it. ;)

Sometimes, when it is cold and the days are short a few chicks to boost my mood til Spring is just what I need.

I really was going to let the hen set on the eggs, but I wanted her to be protected and in a little cubby nest I put in the pen. She wanted nothing to do with it, went and sat down as close to where those eggs had been, outside the box. :( Then she just came out of her broodiness in the snap of a finger by the next day. Sooo....

I did something I try not to do til Spring. I got down the incubator. I am not going into a full hatch or anything...but these eggs were already started! I had to hatch them, right?

Out of seven eggs I have four healthy embryos growing in here now. It makes me so happy when I candle (putting a flashlight to the egg to check progress, this done in the dark to get maximum viewing)them to see their little bodies swishing around in the fluids in the egg...living and growing.

Shelby is looking forward to having these four babies in the house over the winter too. She cant wait to be able to play with the new little ones. Besides, they are Serama, they wont take up much room over the winter. By the time they are big enough to go outside it will be SPRING! That is something to look forward to for sure.

 

PB300001

Lets take a quick peek inside, just for a second.

 

PB300002

You may be asking...why didnt she wash those eggs before putting them in the incubator. Well I will tell you why.

When an egg comes out of a hen it has a natural protective coating on the egg. It keeps bacteria from seeping into the porous egg shell. If you wash the egg, it can subject it to bacteria and if bacteria gets in the egg it will kill the embryo, so the egg is actually "cleaner" being left in its original state though it may not look so.

If the eggs are too dirty...I mean really nasty, I wont try to hatch those though.

The hen was setting for about three or four days on those eggs...I have had them in the incubator for at least a week, so we are at least half way there to hatch time. I am so egg-cited, its like a special treat to have these babies now.

Yes, I am addicted to chickens...but I am okay with it. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

this IS exciting!  can't wait to see them!

Anonymous said...

Kelly I think your chickens are lovely and I am glad you have this addiction to them ~ I'm addicted to reading about them ~ look forward to seeing those eggs hatch ~ and Shelby playing with the chicks ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you are addicted to chickens. I can't wait to see the new hatch. Helen

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness you make me giggle.  I wish you lived closer cause I would love to have a friend who is addicted to chickens!  My mom was once addicted to chickens but not the live kind...she liked the cute country kind you put around your house for decoration.  :)

Keep us posted on the chicks...this could get pretty exciting!!!  I am a city girl but have a teensy weensy bit of country in me when it comes to animals.  :)

Anonymous said...

I think it's wonderful that you're going to hatch these!!!!  I can't wait to see them.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Well Kelly its better then hanging in beer joints. lol I'm glad you're addicted to chickens so we can see all your pretty pictures and read your entries about them. Paula

Anonymous said...

Hey it could be alot worse!  Linda

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures.  I've thought about getting an incubator for Katie to watch them hatch.  Talk about addictions.  I think I'm addicted to AOL journals.

Keep us posted.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Crocheted-creations/

Anonymous said...

I used to do quail eggs in an incubator just like you are showing.  Isn't just the neatest experience to see them hatch & grow!!  I didn't know about the dirt protecting them though - I never washed mine but they usually weren't too dirty.  Your addiction is a good one :)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Ok this is really cool!  I hope we get to see the babies after hatching!   I am so mad because your alerts have still not been working and I missed THREE entries of yours but now I'm all caught up.  I will come check if I don't see anything from you in my inbox...just in case.  So when are the chicks due to hatch?  

Followers