About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Bugs Gone, Sherry Coming

Good Tuesday morning. How are we all feeling today? Ian woke up achy and tired, said if there was ever a day to call in (which he NEVER does, so I dont know why he says this) it would be today. I know I can always use more sleep so I feel for him. Maybe that is why I stayed up this morning after he left so I could suffer with him? ;)

Yesterday evening when the little ones came in I checked for little nasties on their bodies. All gone. They all ran for the hills screaming in agony or died running because there was nothing there, not a trace of any bug on their little chicken bodies. I checked Phoenix over again, no bugs. BUT, Shelby took Twiggy out to see him yesterday. I took him from her right away...paranoid me. Yep, dang it, bugs. So Twiggy, Thelma, and Louise will all be dusted today. I don't understand how this happened, these birds are in a pen seperate from the yard area. So, I reckon everyone, and I mean everyone...will get dusted. It is going to be a long process, but I will get it done. This has happened before, in the Fall. Always when the birds are migrating, like blackbirds flocking in huge numbers and landing in the pasture areas. The crows become more prevalent in the Fall too. All these birds carry lice and mites and my birds pick them up from them. Just part of having chickens. I have always had to dust from time to time when things like this happen. So here I go..dusting pens and dusting around a hundred birds. Has to be done.

I talked to Sherry yesterday evening. It seems her family is driving her insane. It doesnt help that she cant take her meds and she is pregnant. Kelsey is driving her to the brink not minding, not listening, getting into trouble at school. Kelly set her off the other day by making a mean comment about her son. I don't care who you are, Mama bears claws come out if you talk about thier kids in a bad way. Just the way it is. Doesnt matter if you are right or wrong. Besides, it wasnt doing anybody any good to say mean things, just upset everyone. She is ready to get away for a couple of days. Kelly still hasnt looked at her car. So....

Instead of taking my behometh gas guzzling truck to get her I will take Ians car. Oh man, I hate to drive his car. He has a MX5 MazdaSpeed. Yes it is cute, yes it is a buzzbomb of a car, convertable..but it is SO small and so low to the ground. I feel like I am going to get run over at any moment. Plus it is a six speed. I am SO done with shifting gears and pushing clutches in. BUT, it gets thirty miles to the gallon as opposed to mine which sucks gas at thirteen miles to the gallon, and that is on a good day. I told Sherry I would come to get her in his car and he could take the truck to work that day. THAT I can afford. I will be taking back roads for sure though. Highway 27 all the way baby. No interstate for me.

She starts telling me that Kelly isnt going to like it. He says he HAS to go hunting at least once on the weekend. BULLDOODY. He can suck it up and keep their heathen kid for the weekend like a Daddy should. She never asks for much, and she needs some time to herself to relax. She cant even get him to take the child for an icecream so she can take a shower in peace. She said maybe she should wait til the last minute to tell him. Why would you do that I asked. I would think giving him advance notice would be the thing to do so he can prepare to spend the weekend with his daughter. She said she is afraid if she tells him now that he may try to sabatoge her plans. WHAT??? I said you tell him you are going to take a couple of days off as MOM and WIFE because if you dont there is going to be an explosion. She NEEDS to relax for a couple of days. I am supposed to call her back on Wednesday to confirm plans to pick her up on Friday, so we will see.

Anybody getting any rain today? I wonder if we will be getting some here in the next day or so. Weather guessers say a twenty percent chance tomorrow.

Here is a picture I took last year around this time of year...just so you can see how many black birds we are talking about that come through. Hope everyone has a great Tuesday...I am going to do my best to have a good one, y'all do the same. :)

 

P1030041 P1030048

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope she gets to come by herself. That way you can enjoy each other's company. We have blackbirds around here like that in winter time. Ken says the neighbors will think you are crazy clapping at those birds. I say I don't care, they are crazy for not getting outside and helping me. That bird feed is to expensive to feed all those blackbirds. Helen

Anonymous said...

i hate crows.  they are so ominous looking.  
your friend does need that time with you and her dh sounds just like the kind of husband my ex was.....and he probably wILL try to sabatoge her plans. Because he is a selfish person and probably insecure too.

have a great day!
tina

Anonymous said...

We had nice shower here this morning.  Still gloomy so it may do it again.
My pony had lice for a while.  Gross stuff.
traci

Anonymous said...

I hope Ian will be OK and feeling better than he did ~ don't envy you the task of having to dust all the chickens but I know it has to be done ~ There is "Bird Flu" here and hundreds of Turkeys are having to be killed so sad for the Farmer and especially this time of the year with Christmas not far away ~ I hope Sherry will be able to visit you and her trip isn't sabotaged ~ take care driving Ian's car ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

That guy who HAS to go hunting is full of crap.  Isn't it typical of him to use "man power" to manipulate her into taking care of the kids all the time.  My ex was the same way.  He would never take Sarah anywhere, but if I wanted to go somewhere I had to take her with me.  So he could smoke pot and get drunk.  I am very sour about men in general.  

Anonymous said...

You did have alot of blackbirds, I just watched "The Birds"...I would run!!! LOL.  I hear ya on taking the car.  I normally drive a big truck too. We have a BMW Z-4 and I don't like driving it.  I hate shifting gears...I knew we should have gotten an automatic but we didn't so I never drive it.  I put about 400 miles on it this summer and that was when I could have the top down.  I hope Ian is feeling better soon and the chicken are bug free.  It sounds like alot of work ahead of you.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I hope you're BUG FREE SOON.  I can't believe all of the BLACK BIRDS!!!!  Rememeber the movie..."THE BIRDS"?  

I hope Ian feels better soon.  I also hope everything works out for Shewrry to be able to come for a visit.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I don't like riding in a car anymore. Even though my truck is small it is still higher then a car and I can see out good. Hope Sherry gets to come without her brat. Paula

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is a lot of birds!

We've had rain at night for several days now and then today it rained on and off all day. Your property reminds me of where we lived in Virginia a few years ago.

take care, Lahoma

Followers