About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Halloween, Roo Has Passed, New Kitchen Gadget

Did everyone have a Happy Halloween? We sure did.

Shelby got dressed up as a sorceress...the lady pirate costume didnt work out, couldnt find one in time. But she was beautiful anyway. We had to get going as they were having the Halloween Festival in the square in town earlier this year. We got there and were kind of disappointed. It was VERY crowded and a lot of the shops were not participating or were closed down since last year. Now I realize they want the kids to have fun, but this playing a little game before getting your candy in my opinion is clogging up the works. The line for each place was a mile long...just to play a game, like ring toss for instance...so you can get your candy. We werent there for more than ten or fifteen minutes and ended up leaving. Shelby couldnt even be in a costume contest there this year as they did away with the thirteen to seventeen year old costume contest.

We passed through a church parking lot that always sets up for folks to come through and get candy..so we did that. Then I got this idea. Why not go through the mill village in our town of Aragon? Most know what mill villages are, but I will tell you anyway. The mill has long since closed but it is a community where people that worked at the mill lived. Little square cheaply built houses. Most have really done up the houses there to look really quaint and cute, nice and neat little neighborhood.

You should have seen it. I wish I had had my camera. It brought back memories of when I used to go trick or treating. Everyone giving out their candy had their houses decorated and were sitting on their porch waiting for the kids to come...which were coming in droves...in packs...all up and down the street...it was wonderful! I was afraid that the time of Trick or Treat from door to door was lost...but it was alive and flourishing here in this small town. So we let Shelby out and she was going door to door, trick or treating for real, like we used to. Even the Aragon police, all three of them...lol...were giving out candy to the kids out of their cars...isnt that cool? If I did live in a neighborhood it would be this one...it was just something else to see.

****************************************************

I have put the young rooster down. It was a merciful blessing for him...he was in agony. It was not as hard to do as I thought. I talked to him, telling him everything was going to be over soon and he would be at peace. When an animal is suffering that bad, you are doing what is right to help them pass on. So that is done and over with.

****************************************************

I dont know how many of you have alerts for Dwains journal..but he has made two new entries...go and take a look at the pictures of all his wonderful new birds. I told him he inspired me to take better pictures. He has each one on a pedestal stool next to a fern...very artistic of him. I was just going to go out and snap a few shots from the pen of my new ones...now I got to do better than that. ;) Oh, his link is on my sidebar.

***************************************************

I am just so happy! I finally got my new food slicer after waiting for the company we ordered it from to get it in stock. It took almost four months...I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get it. I love it! It is really going to save me money to slice my own meat and cheeses for sandwich meat, dinner meats, whatever I want to slice...it will do it perfectly. Here is a picture of it...I am just so happy to have this addition to my gadgets in the kitchen.

PA310001

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is some gadget to have in the kitchen!!!!! woohoo!
glad to hear last night wasn't a loss...
take care
tina

Anonymous said...

It was quite around here in our neighboorhood last night. Mostly older folks live here. We didn't turn our lights on because we don't like to disturb our dogs. Glad that you found somewhere to take Shelby to have a good time. I think it was a good thing that you put the rooster out of his misery. I had to do that a lot when one got down for different reasons when we raised commerical chickens. I never liked to have to do it. Better than letting them lay there and get trampled to death or starve one. You can't take care of so many of those. I read Dwain's entries. He does have some pretty birds. Your meat slicer is nice. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

Kelly I am glad you found somewhere nice for Shelby to go "trick or treating" ~ how lovely the Police were handing out candy to the children yes that really is cool ~ I am glad you put the young rooster down as he was suffering ~ will go take a look at Dwain's journal ~ that is a real good new gadget you have in your kitchen ~ I'll bet it will get alot of use ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Don't show your new gadget to your chickens!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/acoward15/andy-the-bastard

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that everything turned out good for Shelby.  I know she enjoyed it.  That is a nice gadget!!!  I'm glad the rooster isn't suffering anymore.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun night.  We went to a trunk or treat.  Our little kids had a ball and we hung out with their friends.  I miss going door to door, so I'm glad to hear there are still those who do get to do that.
Traci

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun night!
Becky

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good Halloween.  So sorry about your rooster.  Please don't cut your finger off on your slicer!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Holy cow that is a huge slicer!!!!  You can open up your own deli with that monster ~ reminds me of the one Kramer had in the Seinfeld episode. LOL.  I'm glad your Halloween turned out good after a slow start.  I am really sorry to hear about your Roo...I know you did the right thing but it's still sad.  I'll check out Dwains journal.  
xoxo
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Shelby had a good time. We had quite a few trick or treaters here. I just sat outside with the mesquitoes so I wouldn't have so much getting up and down. I gave the little girls a beaded bracelet besides their candy and they all liked them and was surprised. Hey that is a really big slicer, be careful. Paula

Anonymous said...

My husband has always wanted one of those slicers.  I'm not sure he would want to pay the price though.  We looked into buying a commercial size sausage stuffer but the expense was too much.  I wouldn't know where to look for one of the slicers.

Anonymous said...

Those slicers scare the pee out of me.  My father used to have one is his butcher shop.  I was afraid I'd lose my fingers into it.  I am so sorry about having to put the little Roo down but you did the right thing.
That is such great news to learn that Trick or Treating has not gone out of style.  Next year, we may hit Aragon, but alone.  Without B there.  Glad you had a happy one!

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/

Followers