About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Now Onto Some Fun Stuff!

P2140001

First to have a bath was Thelma. With a feather footed chicken, their feet are going to be the dirtiest thing about them. I fill the sink with enough water for their feet to be covered to soak while I wash the rest. I don't know what other folks use to wash their birds...but I prefer Johnsons No More Tears Baby Shampoo. It just makes sense to use this. I know if I wash their head they are likely to get some in their eyes if nothing else from rinsing. Thelma was lucky enough...her head was clean..so she didnt have to have her head washed. After the feet have soaked it is easy to get any dirt off of the feathers...so I washed her feet and then we rinsed...no trouble from her at all. They dont like the bathing so much...but they put up with this crazy human.

 

P2140002 P2140003

After a bath and a towel dry...you can see...she looks rather droopy..she doesnt feel very good about her appearance right now. You think the girls were bad? Rod was devastated by his appearance...you will see that in a bit. Once I get them blow dried they start to perk up again though.

********************

After I got Thelma mostly dry I put her in a box with shavings...I fashioned two boxes together to make a big long box for the two of them. With fresh shaving and water and food. Thelma didnt like being alone, but she would have to wait...it was Louise's turn now.

I had a little fun with Louise...as you can see. She did have a dirty head and it needed washing...so I had a little fun with the shampoo and her fuzzy head. She doesnt seem all that amused does she? Meanwhile Shelby and I were cracking up!

 

P2140004 P2140005

Okay...it is going to be getting light in a few minutes and I have to get outside and let everyone out and take up the recipe during daylight hours.

I still have Rod to show you...he was a good sport about it all...poor guy. I have pictures and a few short videos of him being blow dried...so after those are loaded onto UncutVideo I will post him.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a trip!  I never ever thouuht of bathing chickens.  This has made my day.  Thanks for the pictures.

Anonymous said...

That is toooo funny. I'm over here laughing. They get baths just like the dogs and cats. Louise didn't look to amused. Enjoyed that.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

I think what ehy are thinking is....ya know this bath wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't having my picture taken too!   LOL, they are adorable!

Anonymous said...

Awwww...They don't look happy about their appearance.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

There are looking pretty raggedy at this point LOL. Helen

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly these are just great pictures ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

This is funny as all get out! No, they don't look the least bit amused. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Oh poor chicken!!! Not bad enough to be drenched in water and soap but to be LAUGHED AT!?  Oh the shame!  lol  SO CUTE!  I love her!

Anonymous said...

I love her little Mohawk...how cute!!  Johnsons...well I can see your chickens aren't spoiled at all.  ;)  This has been a great series, watching them get their baths - good job!
xxx
Lisa

Followers