About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

My New Chickens

P2190001

 

Good Tuesday afternoon. Before I go on with the show results of my birds I entered I thought I would show a really bad picture of my new giant cochin pair. Hey, it was early...and well, the porch is a mess...and I hadn't had my coffee yet..so sue me...lol.

As big as these chickens are, you would think they wouldn't be afraid of anything, but they are indeed a very mild mannered shy breed apparently. They just came out of their cage yesterday, venturing out onto the porch. I opened the porch door, but they had no interest in going outside yet. I kept having to run Tiny off as he thinks he is tough and had to come back up the steps and intimidate the poor things. Everytime I would run him off...it wouldnt be five seconds I had gone into the house and shut the door and I could here him coming back up those steps! I ended up just shutting the door and letting them have the run of the porch for the day, like I am today. I hope to get the porch cleaned up today and maybe get them to go outside for a little bit.

They are really very sweet and will let you pick them up and pet them pretty easily.

My first impression of names for them was Beauty and Beast..lol. That is all that has come to me so far.

Oh I guess you may be wondering where these came from?

I bought them from Jerry, the man that heads up the whole show. He always brings his trailer with pairs for sale and this year I had my mind set on getting a pair. Oh yes, I do plan on hatching from them...as I want more of these big beauties out in the yard. :) So the incubator will be running here in no time!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh they do look like beauty's for sure. I think those are perfect names for them.  The are just adorable!  funny how tiny wants to wander up and cause trouble!  lol  

Anonymous said...

There are odd looking with what looks like curly hair on the hind quarters. Bet they are pretty for real. Those roosters were outdoing themselves with that crowing. LOL. Helen

Anonymous said...

The names you've chosen are perfect, in my opinion.  They do look big! How funny that Tiny kept coming back..he is a tenacious one isn't he!!  They are very pretty I can see why you would want to have more of them running about.  They are so lucky to have their own porch to get familiar with before venturing out.  So when they are ready to go out you will just let them go...you won't be worried about them running off or being hard to get since they are new?
xx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I thought of you yesterday when I saw a rooster in the intersection at the next street over. When I came back through the rooster was gone and there was three chickens there. They couldn't even light a candle to your's and they are going to get run over I am afraid. Paula

Anonymous said...

I love the chocolate coloring of this pair. Beautiful, full bodied lovely birds! (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

elly they are beautiful ~ enjoyed the video ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

I had a pet rooster and he thought he belonged in the house when he was still little. lol I wish you lived close and I would buy eggs from you. lol Will never get that video out of my mind you put on your journal. lol I like this set of chickens. Have a blessed week. Janie

Anonymous said...

Great I wanna watch the incubator.. can't wait.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

We had some of these at the last rescue I worked at.  They're heavy but sort of like big kitty cats.  I swear if they could purr while in your lap, they would!
Jamie

Followers