About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Another Chicken Hobby Entry* Tim, Faith, First Babies

Now it is time for a more upbeat entry. Lets talk chicken! :)

Ian has a friend at work that had an extra incubator he never used anymore. He asked Ian if I would like to use it. I had never thought about hatching my own, but this might be the start of something big, I really liked this idea. Ian brought the incubator home and I put egg after egg in there that I collected from Faith. The babies hatched in the wintertime so after they were about two and a half months old I put them in the garage in huge wooden boxes that Ian had gotten from work. They throw away all kinds of good stuff at his work, so I was happy to get these crates. With heat lamps and the shelter of the garage they were just fine over the winter. I hatched with the intention of selling them after they had filled out nicely. That was harder than I expected. This was my first hatch, my first babies. I did manage to sell all of the boys and kept some of the girls for line breeding with their father. You can do that with chickens. No brother sister breeding, but put the offspring with the parent and you actually can get some good birds out of it, sometimes better than the parent itself. I kept one young roo and put him with his mom. Now I could get a more diverse line and more eggs when it came time for another hatch.

Here are the first babies. I dont know why, but for some reason I didnt ever take pictures of them as little tiny things.

Here are the girls...

 

Phoenixbabygirls

The next picture is of all the boys...

 

Phoenixbabyboys

I put an ad in the Market Bulletin and within a few hours of that farm newspaper going out they were all spoken for. It was so hard to see them go. Since then other hatches have been easier for me as I dont keep them for months before selling them. Selling them as chicks keeps me from getting too attached.

********************

February 2006...my first Poultry Show. I knew nothing about showing...but I read up on it and found lots of tips on showing. This opened up a whole new door of chicken ownership for me. There were so many breeds, so many birds...it was just fantastic, a poultry lovers paradise.

Here is Tim, I took these pictures before the show that morning I believe.

 

Tim3

Below is Faith all pretty for the show...

 

Faith4

and one more of them in their show pens during the show.

 

TimandFaithShow

Now I realize that some folks have been around here or known me before here and have seen and heard this story...and seen these pictures...but I lost that old journal and I want a full account of all my gals and guys on this journal, so pardon me if you have seen this before.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sure are pretty birds. Have a good day tending to them in this cold weather . Helen

Anonymous said...

That looks like alot of fun, raising chickens!  Linda

Anonymous said...

Tim & Faith are gorgeous!  I love the pictures of the little ones.  I bet it was harder to part with them after having them for a few months.  I never knew you could have parent & child babies in chickens but not brother & sister.  That is very interesting.  You sure did a great job on your first hatching.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I have not seen this before and I'm so glad you shared it again.  Oh man...seeing all this makes me never want to eat chicken again! lol I can see why people go all veggie!   Do you guys eat chicken???  Do you eat YOUR chickens if you do?  

Anonymous said...

Awww Tim is my favorite. He is so beautiful. Of course Faith is too. Paula

Anonymous said...

Tim and Faith are absolutely beautiful ~ I can't remember seeing them before so I am glad you wrote about them again ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful chickens.  I love that long tail.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

THE BIRDS ARE BEAUTIFUL. I CANNOT ADJUST THE SCREEN TO SEE ALL.
      SOME ONE SAID IF WE READJUST THE PHOTO SIZES TO 'SMALLER' WHEN ADDING THE ENTRY THEN ALL WILL BE WITHIN THE SCREEN.
     ( CHECK WITH   BY THE WAY     A JOURNALIST.

Anonymous said...

They are beautiful.  Absolutely gorgeous.  I am thinking of getting an incubator so that Katie can be involved and watch them hatch.  Hubby keeps saying no, no, no.  But I'm a country girl.  You know SOOO much more on this subject than me.  

Sooo how did they do at the showing??? Keeping me in suspense here.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Crocheted-creations/

Followers