About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Friday, September 19, 2008

SHOW? NOW??? HUH??

Photobucket

Yesterday in the mail I recieved a flyer with an entry sheet for the first annual Fall show for a new club put together, the Fowl Fanciers Club. This was sent to me by Brian Blair. He was the one that I bought my frizzle cochin girls from that I showed a couple of years ago.

Fall is a horrible time to show. HORRIBLE. Fall is when everyone is molting. For instance, Kuckoo has lost all but about three tail feathers right now, Coco is in the process of regrowing back feathers, so she is bald there from mating. If you look in Johnnys pen (the black sumatra) it looks like he exploded in there and has about one twig hanging off his rear. Almost no one is in condition to show, they are shedding their old to get in the new feathers.

I have no birds to show right now, except well, maybe Buzzbomb. That would be him above. I just took this picture yesterday. Clean up his feet and put a little mineral oil on those legs, feet, wattles and comb and I got a winner. Except for one thing. You have to have a special judge for Serama. I called to find out if the show was having said judge and I am waiting for an answer. He just looks stunning. He is the best Serama I have. He is very typy, stands so upright like  a serama should. His legs arent too long, his wings point down really well without dragging the ground. He isnt tame AT ALL though. Have to work on that if I am going to show him. I can tame him down by then if I have to. If I don't show, I may still go. I enjoy going to the shows. Its the day after Shelbys birthday though. Karen and Tiffany will be spending the night the night before after we go out for a day of fun for the girls birthdays. We will see how things go.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buzzbomb is beautiful. Hope you do get to show him or a least go. I would think you could always learn more each time you attend a show. Good luck, Paula

Anonymous said...

He is a beautiful rooster. I hope he stays pretty where you can enter him. People should realize that all chickens molt in the fall. Makes you wonder why ever they have their shows then. Hugs, Helen

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by my journal and for your fun comments! I've got you on alerts now.

I love your rooster--what a handsome fellow. You can tell he's a legend in his own mind, though!

I laughed at what you wrote about one of the roosters looks like he exploded because of the feathers everywhere. Ha ha!

I saw the pictures of your emus. Are they mean like ostriches can be?

Take care,
Beth

Anonymous said...

Buzzbomb is indeed a hadsome lad ~ hope they have that special judge so you can enter him in the show ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

OH what a handsome boy!  Kelly is getting some of that red in her saddle feathers now. Just beautiful!  And he has the mottled look on the chest.  Everyone who sees him calls him a "cute little shit" LOL  My FIL loves him.  He is the one who gets to free range the most because he doesn't run off anywhere...he stays by the coop when the girls are still locked up or he stays in the garage by us.  Ya, he poops in the garage floor but the clean up is FAR worth the enjoyment of watching him trot around.  And the dogs know better than to bother him LOL  I don't even think a hawk would try grabbing him.  He lets me hold him just fine tho and we walk down to check the mail.  He rubs his cheeks on mine too when I go to kiss him.  He's just adorable!  I plan on mating him with one of the D'uccle girls when they are older to see what I can hatch out.  

Anonymous said...

He is a pretty boy!  Maybe they will have a judge for him.  If not maybe you can go.  I'm sure you would enjoy it!

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Oh he is pretty. Really pretty colors! Good luck. Have a great weekend. Janie

Anonymous said...

That is one fine looking little rooster!  I hope he can make the show and win!  Linda

Anonymous said...

That's a gorgeous rooster but what I can't believe is that Shelby is going to be 14!  Please make her stop growing up and don't let this happen.  My goodness, say it isn't so! LOL I do hope she has a great sleep over though.


Hugs,
Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Private Journal

Anonymous said...

He is indeed a stud muffin!!!  WooWoo!  What an odd time to have a show in light of what you have explained.  I'm sure you would love to go even if you weren't in it but I say go for it!  
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly- WOW! I thought I was looking at a joke when I stumbled into your blog! Wish I could download some pix's for you and you'd see what I'm talking about!   ( I haven't learned to do that yet! Nor do I have a camera!)
How did you get my little bantam's and roosters! We need to look at eachother a couple of times too!
I was sure my sister-Patty was making a joke!
I'm looking into Georgia too! Can you belive it?
Did I die and go to heaven!
Really would like to get into a conversation with you! I'm very interested in becomming active in the shows. Could you direct me to some info? Thax.
Going out to lock up my chickies.

Followers