About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Chicken Talk Today

Do you remember the slideshow movie I did of all my babies hatched out in May? If not, click HERE to see it.

Those babies are growing up to be beautiful chickens. After I repaired that pen and situated it for shelter and night roosting I disassembled the Polish pen, putting them in the smaller grow pen. I used the four foot green fencing and posts from that pen and fenced off a free range area for my 'pretties'. Some of these will be for showing one day, hopefully. The giant cochins in particular.

Now I let the white crested polish roosters out to be free in the yard during the day. They are a bachelor group. I took their girls away and put them in the 'pretties' pen. I really need to sell a couple of them off. They don't seem to be harrassing anybody right now. As long as they keep it that way, they can all stay. Right now they look a little ratty, but their feathers will grow back and fill out. Here is a slideshow of my pretties NOW, and their new area. Some were in the video above, some weren't.

 

 

The polish/silkie crosses and the golden phoenix/silkie crosses were my own invention. They are mutts, but I made them. :) I like the way they turned out. Even though they arent a 'real' breed, I think they look cool. :)

Oh and remember that black Sultan? Its a SHE and you will see her labelled as Mystery Sultan on the slideshow. Istill don't think I labeled that egg wrong. I am always very careful about that.

If you want to stop a picture to look at it just run the mouse pointer over the picture and a back, stop and forward will appear at the bottom of the pictures.

Oh yeah, and in case your wondering how that one White Crested Polish cockeral got the name Goatman...well, the first day the bachelors were let out, he spent two days in the goats pen area...lol. Thus, goatman. ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never realized chickens could be so beautiful! I like the ones with the poufy feathers on their heads--they look very exotic.

Beth

Anonymous said...

Well, you made something that didn't exist before.  
What if Dirk had brought me home one of your chickens instead of a nice bottle of perfume?  I would have absolutely no idea what to do with it but to hold it and pet it alot as that's all I remember from having chickens from being so little.  That there are ones you can pet and others you have to run from. LOL
I always enjoy those slide shows.  A BUNCH.

Big hugs,

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/
Private Journal

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, oh yeah, I like these videos because I can see them and they are soooo pretty. Paula

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the show & the captions are a great addition.  They are all so gorgeous - it is easy to see they are so well cared for and content.  I don't think the bachelors will be bachelors long though as handsome as they are!! ;)
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

You have the prettiest chickens ever!!!  I love the black one that looks like it's got on feather boots!!!!   Now, what about that calendar???


Hollie

Anonymous said...

Traci, looking good, Bill

Followers