About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Friday Saturday and Sunday

Has it been a week already? How time is fun when your having flies...LOL..oh or is that how time flies when your having fun...he he. Well, so it has been a week. So, I will try and catch up on things around here. In segments of course, adding a little at a time so when I get cut off I won't go into a flying rage and throw the computer out the window...;)

On Friday Shelby and I went to visit Mama for the day. She has a doctors appointment early so we came early and took her in for that. Then we decided to go into her Walmart. I had forgotten Tips can of food for the day down there...so we stopped in to get that, and you know you have to look around while you are in there, right? I have been getting those fake crocs in all colors I can find because they are OH so comfortable. Yeah, they are a bit ugly in a way, but they grow on you, kind of like a fungus...lol. I went to see if I could find some more colors and found me a pair of the sky blue ones with the darker blue squiggly lines on them. Shelby liked those so much when I brought a pair home they were gone from my hands and on her feet before I could say a word.

Then we went out for lunch at Mamas favorite spot. We had a greek salad and Seafood Bisque soup. They only serve that soup on Fridays, and it is OH so good. I wanted to treat, seeing as we don't get to do that sort of thing as often as we used to when I lived closer. Shelby wasnt really hungry while we were there so the nice waitress that we had told her she knew just what she wanted...a nice big shake...and of course Shelbys eyes lit right up...asking what flavors they had. She got vanilla.

After enjoying our lunch it had gotten quite unbearably hot out and we went back to Mama and Daddys house to be in the cool. We had a nice afternoon visiting and Daddy even came home from work early so we got to see him for a while too.

We loaded up to go about 5 or so...as I still had to get by Dwains house to pick up a young barred rock rooster for a fellow chicken fancier that stops over at the house from time to time. Dwain did not really want a big breed chicken and this guy just happened to mention to me that he wanted this kind of roo, and I said I certainly could get him one. I just wanted the roo to have a good home, and in turn doing Dwain and Paul a favor.


We got on the road and I noticed the temperature display in the truck for the temperature outside. It read 106 degrees. I sure could believe it. It was 102 in the shade at Mama and Daddys.

Getting to Dwains house I wanted to take some pictures of his birds. He has pigeons and pheasants, bantams and well, my favorite is this boy right here. I sent him all the pictures I took so he could use them on his journal...but wanted to show my favorite here. I have this breed also, but just love his roo. He is a Golden Phoenix.




He is looking to give his dutch rabbit away to Shelby...and of course Shelby wants it. He wants to seperate his other four rabbits into pairs for breeding and needs the pen space. She has taken good care of Derby, so I said yes. We have to make the space for him and do some rearranging of cages in the next few days, but I don't mind.

I picked up the Barred Rock rooster..oh he was handsome...I can't deny that I wanted him for myself after seeing him. I didnt mention that to anyone, but I needed to get him to his new home right away before I ended up keeping him and feeding my addiction of chicken keeping. ;)

It was almost dark when I got towards home. I had called Paul and there was no answer, but he had given me directions to his house and he only lives about 5 minutes from me, so I was going to go ahead and make a go of it and try to drop this roo off to him that night.

I found his house and tooted the horn. Out here you got to do that to give people warning you are out there...not just for the folks, but to see if any loose dogs come running to greet you or maybe to tear you from limb to limb...lol.

His wife came out and asked me to pull around back that Paul was back there. She met me around back and Shelby told me not to start up talking (I cant just stop and run can I? That would be rude) that she wanted to get home, she was tired, we had been out all day and she had a show coming on she wanted to see.

Wellll...I kinda talked a little. Well I had to see all their animals! Gosh they had pigs and goats, rabbits and chickens, all kinds of everything. I didn't take pictures as it was almost dark and I was trying to not stay too long. Pauls wife (Vickie? I think was her name?) was so nice, I asked Paul why he had been hiding her that her and I were both talkers and would love to visit each other.


We get home and not long after that Dwain calls. He has gone up to Kennesaw and picked up a BUNCH of silkies and knew I had wanted more...he is going to get me into trouble I tell ya...lol. So it was dark, and he had never been over this way. I told him to call Ian and get directions from where he was. Ian is much better at directions that I am, and I really didnt have a clue how to get to my house from Kennesaw.

So he called Ian, got directions. BUT...we didnt know that Hwy 113 had massive contruction and signs everywhere saying Road Closed and it is dark out there too. Big Oops. Ian and I ended up hopping in his car and going to find Dwain. I think he was ready to call it quits...lol. We convinced him that it wasnt far now to our house to come on and sit down and stay a little while.

Poor Dwain, I couldnt imagine what was going through his mind as we went up and down and around curves down the long dark narrow two lane roads back to home. But we made it, and got settled and I got my pick of silkies. I am partial to the white silkies. He has buffs too, but I wanted the whites. He also had this little guy in there...I believe he is half cochin and half silkie. I named him Twiggy...everytime I look at him...that is all I can think of...I mean look at that twig on his head! LOL!



Here is a picture below of my new white silkie chicks...



I want to thank you Dwain for thinking of me and letting me have first pick...I love these fuzzies so much! Ian told Dwain he appreciates coming out here like that for me to have first pick. He told him there just arent that many folks that would go out of their way these days like that for us, and he said thankyou for that.

I had to show Dwain all the critters of course...so I pulled out the big flashlight and we went around outside. I had also told him to take the rest of the Serama chicks in trade for those silkies. I can always make more anyway. ;) So we got those out while we were out there. Remember it had been too hot for our old rabbit Tyler so I had made him a place in a big box inside the house. Dwain was just amazed at our "horse" as he called him. LOL Tyler weighs about twenty pounds easily. Here is a picture I took of Dwain holding Tyler.



After sitting down for a bit Dwain had to get on home. He had an early morning funeral he had to attend. I did ask him to call me when he got home to let me know he got home alright seeing as it was so late. He did.

Now, onto Saturday. It is so rare lately that Ian gets a Saturday off. But this Saturday he had a choice, so he chose to stay home. It was so wonderful having him home all weekend. It was a really really great day. Shelby was glad he was home an extra day too. They played some games together on the Wii. She and him really get into the gaming..they do a lot of that together.


One thing about being a poultry fancier..you are always making new friends. There are so many folks out there that love anything with feathers...from pheasants, to pigeons to chickens, ducks....all of it. Kay is one that I wish wasnt so far away. She has been so good to me, and wanted to send me more eggs, but I have shut down the incubator for the year, so I passed on more eggs until next Spring when I get the fever again. Here is a picture of the two that hatched from the eggs she sent me. They are much younger than the ones up above, so they are still in their half fuzz half feathers and fuzz..crazy out of control fuzz look...lol. They are so sweet and I love them so very much though..I hope to show them come February.




Well I almost made it through without being cut off...having to do Sunday over again. GRRRRR.

Sunday we had expected and unexpected company. Shelby had been wanting the twins to come for a visit but I have not been up for spend the night weekends. It has just been too hot and would have been to taxing for me with all I have going on around here, projects and all. So we agreed for the day visit would be alright. I told Brian to bring them as early as he wanted to. But, they didnt get here til almost 2. That only gave them four hours to play as they had to get back to their mothers and get ready for bed and school the next day. The kids made the most of it though..they played upstairs for a while and then went out to the pool for a couple of hours before they had to go.


Jay and John stopped by to visit for the day with Ian. Jay brought some wonderful vegetables from his garden for us. He brought red peppers and HUGE tomatoes, along with cucumbers...goodness knows I dont have enough of those....right? ;) The guys played the Wii Sports games all day...had a good time. I went about doing my own thing as the girls played and the boys played.

I fixed manicotti, two dishes of it, and garlic bread for the bunch. The kids didnt like manicotti and I knew they wouldnt seeing as I dont think ricotta cheese is one of any kids favorites. I made them pizzas and that seemed to be just fine with them.

At the end of the day as I flopped into bed and all company was gone and it was dark outside I felt pretty satisfied about the weekend. I got my husband all day on Saturday uninterrupted as did Shelby got her Daddy for a whole day uninterrupted.


plieck30 said...

Thats right you can't just leave a chicken and run, gotta chat a little. These young people now days just don't understand that. lol Paula

ally123130585918 said...

Kelly Those chicks are just beautiful ~ Tyler is a big boy I really would like to have him :o) ~
Sounds like you had a busy few days ~ and glad you had Ian at home for the weekend ~ and Shelby and you got to spend a whole uninterupted day with him ~ Ally x

madcobug said...

Glad that you had a good weekend. Those baby chicks are so pretty. That is one huge giant rabbit. Pretty too. Well I have got back from getting my hair whacked off and it feels so much better Time now to hit the bed with an ice pack. Helen

deshelestraci said...

How do your fowl do in this heat?!    My ponies are ok but they have a ton of shade.  That rabbit is huge!!  What does HE eat!?

geocachelinda66 said...

wonderful, love the rabbit picture!  Linda

wwfbison said...

My gosh your rabbit is HUGE!!!  He could eat both of mine in one gulp - I have a little dwarf lop and a regular dwarf.  Twiggy is adorable - all of them are but he is just sweet.  Sounds like you had a wonderful day with your mom, 106 degrees - geesh, I thought it was hot here.  Bless your heart (and the critters) dealing with that kind of heat.  I have to get a pair of crocs, everyone is writing and talking about them~ they would be great for on the farm.  Take care and try to stay cool!