About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Third Entry-My Chicken Hobby

frntvwchouse egggetndoors sidedoorchouse insideview1 Chickenhouseandrun1

I looked at all sorts of designs for a chicken house online. I ended up coming up with my own design to suit myself. I built this all by myself other than my Dad cut the holes for me for the egg doors and the front door and windows and the side door. I still have this same house four and a half years later...and I tell you what. If you ever want to use a paint that will never come off...use that barn paint from Lowes. I don't think I have a chip of paint come off since I put the paint on!

After putting my design down on paper and making up a supply list I set off to Lowes and got what I needed. It took me a little while, but I got the job done. I have a lot of my Dad in me...but this did not carry over I am sorry to say. He is SO good at woodworking. I am just lucky the thing is still standing today..it is one of my better projects that held up to the test of time. I was even thinking ahead as I made it where you could take it apart from the corners to break it down and move it..say...for when we made that move to the country. ;)

In these pictures you can see the three trap doors in the back for egg retrieving. Inside those door you could reach down into the plastic egg crates...which later were filled with nesting material...straw, and get your eggs. The side door was a clean out door. I was thinking ahead and had laid down chicken wire and then dirt, then straw on the floor of the chicken house. This prevented anything from digging under the sidewalls and getting in to the chicken house.

In one picture you can see I built a run on the front. They were not cooped up in this all day once they were of a good size not to be toted off by a neighbors cat. They were allowed out during the day and locked up tight at night. They were good girls...for all the room they had back there, they were happy and never jumped the fence to a neighbors yard.

I was not supposed to have chickens within 600 feet of another house...so having chickens in the city limits was a no no...but I have always been a stubborn hard head...and I wanted a few chickens darnit. They werent hurting anything.

We always had possums and even had a raccoon residing in the next door neighbors attic once while they were replacing the old rotting wood that is right under the gutters. There was no shortage of cats in the neighborhood, or roaming dogs for that matter..so I had to be sure my gates stayed locked and my girls stayed safe.

Now that my girls were outside...I felt a little empty while indoors...you know where this is going right? ;) Oh yes, I had to get a few more chicks and begin all over again...that I will save for next time.

Right now it is time for me to get up out of this chair and get this day rolling. I hope you have a wonderful Friday. I sure am going to try.

Oh, Helen mentioned putting something in with the chicks for digestion. They do make 'grit' now you can buy to add to their food or put in a little dish by their food. I don't know why I have never used it...I really should next go around, so thanks for reminding me of it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good sturdy place to keep your chicks to me. You did a good job along with your dad's help with the doors. I remember that my granny used to use oyster shells in a flat container, she said they made the egg shells tougher. I never tried that though. They probably served in the place of gravel or vitimans and minerals. I need to hunt up a picture of her feeding her chickens when I was a small girl. Someone made a pic of her and it is in with my mothers pictures somewhere. She lived to be 91 I think but has been gone about 20 years now I suppose. Helen

Anonymous said...

My gosh you did a great job!  Seems you thought of everything too, that is the best part of your own design.  I have ideas in my head but they never come out looking anything like they are supposed too.  We have a little bowl of grit out for our chickens.  You should be proud of yourself building your own coop, that is awesome!
xoxo
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I so admire you for the way you think of everything and and get it done. Everything looks so clean and nice. You got some lucky chickens there. Paula

Anonymous said...

I love the colors you picked!!!!  
becky

Anonymous said...

They look great. Good job.
Take care, Chrissie

Anonymous said...

Hehe as you can see I'm still nosing around!  I LOVED your three entries about how you got started with chickens.  Maybe I should of started with just six!?  NAH!  LOL I love the little peepers!  

Followers