About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

What A Surprise!

Now just sit right there. I want to show y'all something. This was such a surprise in my chicken world!

Do you see this?

 

Photobucket

Here...take a closer look...

 

Photobucket

Whaaaaat? What are you staring at me for? Do I have a funny bump on my head? Is my chick fuzz the wrong color? WHAAAT?

 

Photobucket

Well little one, the answer is yes, and yes.

Sultans are always white. When I first saw this little peep I was wondering if maybe I was mistaken...but there was no mistaking that bump on the head. It is a more prominent bump than any polish chick. This...my friends...is a BLACK sultan chick. It came out of white sultan parents. A recessive gene came forward? Sultans have extra toes...but this little one has no extra toes...but like I said, there is no mistaking that crest on the head.

I searched the internet, looking for others that have seen or heard of black sultans. I only found one picture...this one...on Feathersite.com

 

Photobucket

I emailed the man that took this picture at dogpix.com and he says it was a picture he took at a BIG show in Indiana. He said all these black sultans (there were more) were sold at the show. They werent his, but he took the pics.

So look at this, I have a black sultan. This little one is strong too. He was standing almost right away once he was dry. I wonder if I can show this bird? Not having the extra toes might disqualify it. I hope its a boy. A girl would be alright too. But I hope its a boy. The boys are just so flamboyant and fancy.

I am just taken aback at this chick. What a wonderful surprise. We will have to watch him/her grow and see the end result.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a pretty little thing. I hope it's a he. The one you have pictured is so pretty. odd coming from white parents. Helen

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous little one! I hope your able to show him/her in the future. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

What a surprise that must have been for you Kelly ~ I do hope you will be able to show Him/Her I know you will let us know when and if you do ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

what a cutie
becky

Anonymous said...

Now that is going to be interesting to watch. It is already an interesting little chick. Paula

Anonymous said...

How exciting. Take extra good care of him. You may have something unique.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!  Hey when I first seen that BEFORE I read anything I was like "WHAT? a black sultan!?  SEE I AM learning!  I love it!  I'm getting there!  I won't stop reading till I know it all! MWAHAHAHAH  J/K  I won't read THAT long.  Anyway, I hope he's a boy too!  Be sure to take pics weekly so I can see k!  Hey do you have pics of the eggs your sending me so far?  lol  

Anonymous said...

Now that chick sure has a big beak too!  Linda

Anonymous said...

WOW!  That is a surprise!!!!!
He's or she's gorgeous!  LOL
Hollie

Anonymous said...

Now that is a very nice surprise.  I hope he's worth alot too.  And let it be a boy, oh please, oh please, oh please.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/Prayingandbelieving/

Anonymous said...

He/she is soooo cute.  I love the education we are getting.  Thank You.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I can't find any other way to get into contact with you...I have a few questions do you have an email address? mines klaire12@hotmail.com. Claire

Anonymous said...

Wow!  Congratulations on your unusual little fellow!  -  Barbara

Anonymous said...

Whoa, congratulations on this little one!  Maybe you will be famous in the chicken world for this and win show after show.  Ahh, I can say I knew her when....
He/she is a doll - too cute!
xxx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

How cool!  I can't wait to see him as an adult.
Jamie

Anonymous said...

WHAT A CUTIE!!! I love the black. Can't wait to see him grow. Sorry I've been missing, but lots going on my way looks like the same your way. BUSY BUSY BUSY.
Take care, Chrissie

Followers