About Me

My photo
I am a 42 year old woman that is about as happy and content as one person can be. My husband of 21 years and our 15 year old daughter live on five and a half acres out in the country. We moved from the city four years ago and never looked back. I homeschool our daughter. We also love our animals. Our daughter has a miniature horse and two rabbits. We also have a border collie, two cats (again), two pot belly pigs, four peafowl, three emus, 2 llamas and an undetermined number of chickens, lets just say ohhh about 200. I have many breeds, from layers to fancy chickens. I love poultry shows, I love fowl in general as I have come to find out through having more than just chickens. Chickens will always be my first love though. I do show some of my birds occasionally.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I Lost Beast, His First Baby Born

Saturday I found Beast passed away in the pairs pen. No signs of trauma, not one feather missing. He was absolutely fine the day before. It remains a mystery as to what happened. These two were to be my newest breeding project. I wanted to have more of these magnificent giants.

 

Photobucket

Now Beauty is alone. The first couple of days she was fine, but now she is beginning to get lonely and complains a lot about being alone.

I have every intention of getting her another mate, and maybe a gal pal. But it is a long way to Jerrys house from here. I dont even know if he has anymore for sale right now. Ians dad lives close to where Jerry lives so we may plan a trip to go see them and while we are there I will go and get a pair of Giant Cochins.

Beauty had just started to lay regularly again when this all happened. I had heard that even though the male is not present anymore, some of the eggs still forming inside her will be fertile, kind of like a sperm reserve in there. I checked with some folks on a chicken message board and they had heard of this also. I have four eggs in the incubator from them now. Two are after he was gone. We will see what happens with the eggs.

To offset the bad news, here is the good news. I had my first giant cochin baby hatch day before yesterday. What a beautiful special baby this one is.

 

Photobucket

You can see this baby is quite large to start off with, no shrimp chicks here. ;)

Rest in peace big man...

 

Photobucket Photobucket

You will be missed very much.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your bird.  He was a handsome one.  Good luck with the babies.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry that you lost that beautiful bird. I hope all your eggs do hatch for you. That newly hatched baby is a big baby. Helen

Anonymous said...

Kelly sorry for your loss. Hopefully all the eggs will hatch and you will have his babies to carry on his good looks.

Hugs Sunny

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry.  It seems like only a couple of weeks ago, something else passed because of the foxes.  This has to hurt something awful.  I am truly sorry.
The new life of the little guy you're holding in your hand I know will be very cherished.  Maybe Beauty will find a new love. Hopefully Beauty won't have a sex change.  I've heard of some doing that, becoming boys when they're hatched girls.  They are some beautiful animals.

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/



Anonymous said...

Awww, Kelly I'm so sorry.  He was beautiful.  I'm glad that you had a baby to hatch.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Hmmm wondering what happened. Sorry for your loss. Janie

Anonymous said...

You will miss this one. So very pretty. Paula

Anonymous said...

Kelly  ~ I am so sorry to hear Beast had passed away ~ will you ever be able to find out why ???? ~ won't it be lovely if those eggs do hatch ~ That baby chick is gorgeous ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

do you have a chicken graveyard? ; )

Kay

Anonymous said...

Awwww, so sorry to hear Beast passed away.  The baby is just adorable, what a doll.  Rest in Peace Beast.  Poor Beauty, missing her man.
xx
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Awwwww, I'm so sorry about Beast. He really was special. They both are.
And the baby, oh baby! I want to jsut come to GA and hug him, gently...LOL. Cutie pie he is. What are you going to name him? Big Boy he is too....LOL

Huggers,
Gayla

Anonymous said...

He was so beautiful.  This makes me so sad.  I have a hard time with the death of animals and that's one of the reasons I don't have any.  I can't take the heartache.

Followers